Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.


Living in Rural & Remote Areas


Information and resources for disability service providers helping to improve the well being and quality of life of people with disabilities.

Community Support

This section contains resources and information on disability that may be useful for existing and future service providers.

Disability Accommodation

The Department of Human Services is a Victorian Government department that provides and funds community service organisations to provide a range of supported accommodation services including group homes/community residential units, for people with a disability.

Aids and Equipment

The Victorian Aids and Equipment Program (A&EP) provides people with a permanent or long term disability with subsidised aids, equipment, home, and vehicle modifications.

Supporting Families and Carers

This section offers information on the different types of supports available for families of children with a disability and carers of adults with a disability.

Protecting Rights

Disability service providers in Victoria are required to act compatibly with human rights and to take human rights into consideration whenever they make a decision. Disability advocacy is about working to promote the participation, rights and voice of people with a disability. Disability self help is about people coming together to assist each other and the community to better understand and respond to their disability.


More Resources

Specialist Disability Support 

Specialist Disability Support has information on specialist supports to assist people with a disability, their families, carers and support providers in matters relating to behaviour intervention or the criminal justice system, involving people with a disability.


Service Quality & Improvement

The Department of Human Services employs a range of frameworks, processes and systems to define and guide practice, service expectations, outputs and outcomes for people who use our services.

Fire Safety

This section offers information about fire safety for residential service staff; planners, facilitators and case managers; families and carers of people with a disability; and disability service providers.

Access and Planning

A person with a disability, like any member of the community, is able to access a range of general services including community health, early childhood and education services, sport and recreation, maternal and child health services, and other community services.

Self-Directed Support

The Department of Human Services is making sure that people with a disability are in charge of planning their own supports and deciding how funding and supports are managed in their lives.


Some Specialist Links

Some links provided kindly provided by Caring 4OurKids - check out their  page. They are a group of parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and a few comorbid diseases such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia.  

The links are:

Sesame Street Autism Resources for Parents
Reduce the Noise: Help Loved Ones with Sensory Overload Enjoy Shopping
Resources for Military Families
Moving with Special Needs Kids
Home Modifications for Special Needs Kids
Academic Accommodation Resources
Estate Planning for Parents of Special Needs Kids

Deaf & Hard of Hearing Victorians


Vicdeaf is a not for profit organisation established in 1884 and is the primary source of reference, referral, advice and support for deaf and hard of hearing adults in Victoria.

Organisations and Services

There is much information on this website to assist. The categories below are just some of the subjects covered and where you can find useful links to other organisations working with or for Deaf people:

•Victorian Deaf Services & Organisations
•Victorian Education Services
•Victorian Deaf Clubs and Groups
•Other State-based Deaf Services & Organisations
•National Deaf Services & Organisations
•International Deaf Services & Organisations
•Sign Language Interpreter & Training Services
•Deaf Film Organisations
•Legal Services

JobAccess - An Australian Government Initiative

JobAccess is a free information and advice service about the employment of people with disability. JobAccess helps people with disability, employers, service providers and the community to access information about services, financial assistance and workplace solutions. You can find useful information about reasonable adjustments, disclosure of disability, disability employment case studies, tools and checklists.

1800 464 800

Top 5 Questions

  • How do I find a Disability Employment Service provider? The contact details of all the Disability Employment Service providers in your local area are available on the Australian Job Search website.
  • Why is my Supported Wage System application still pending? You will need to telephone your Supported Wage Management Unit on 1800 065 123 to check on progress.
  • What is the Employment Assistance Fund?It provides funds to help people with disability to improve their access to work. It can help with the costs of installing accessible doors, ramps, adjusting heights of switches, assistive technology, Auslan interpreting and disability awareness training. 
  • Do all Supported Wage Assessment Agreements have to be sent to the Fair Work Commission? No, only send them to the Fair Work Commission if the relevant industrial instrument requires them to be lodged with the Fair Work Commission.
  • What are reasonable adjustments? Reasonable adjustment relates to a provision in the Disability Discrimination Act. For example, it is necessary to make reasonable adjustments to enable a person with disability to have equal opportunity to be considered for selection, appointment, promotion, transfer and training.